A MSHA (USA) notification from May 2019. A fire occurred on a converted U/G man carrier at a coal mine in the USA.
Causal factors identified included:
- Conversion of the carrier;
- Failure to detect damaged/compromised fire suppression actuation elements;
- Routing of the fire suppression actuation lines through the engine bay
A number of recommendations were also made by the regulator, with key points being:
- Conducting thorough operational and maintenance inspections;
- Installing high temperature alarm systems in and around engine bays;
- Mounting actuation lines remote from fire sources;
- Training miners and maintainers in requirements of actuation systems.
Last Updated: 25/05/2022 11:57:14am